Thursday 14 June 2012

The award of 7's

I got nominated for this by one of my favourite bloggers, Ponyboy at Marriage in the Bedroom. His, reader, is a blog that can make you understand what is right and good about monogamous married life. I totally dig him.  I don't normally do these things but I thought since I have a fairly new blog, most things would still be a novelty to most readers.


1.) What is your favorite song? 

That's the hardest and most unfair question of them all, isn't it? I could more easily tell you what my 50 favourite songs are. And anyway, my favourite today are unlikely my favourite tomorrow. I choose two of my favourites - not because they are particularly representive of my tastes, but because I always think they're worth an airing:



 

Having looked at my itunes to see what my most played are, it appears my taste is "pretty miserable"


2.) What is your favourite dessert?
 I don't have a very sweet tooth. Sticky toffee pudding, or bread & butter pudding usually go down fairly well though.

3.) What do you do when you're upset?
Cry. Drink. Not always in that order. It is rare that I will accept misery alone, so if someone has upset me, then I will try and find a way to make them share the pain, or I will call a friend and cry on their shoulder.

4.) Which is your favourite pet?
I'm about 51% a dog person and 49% a cat person. My favourite ever pet was a staffordshire bull terrier we had when we were young. She got stolen when I was about 6. I'm still upset about that, you know, 27 years later. Staffies have a pretty bad press in the UK, because of their "potential for aggression". I've never known a staffordshire bull terrier that wasn't as soft as butter and wonderful with children, but then I don't associate with thugs who train dogs to fight, so what do I know?


5.) White bread or whole meal?
You know, bread isn't all that good for you. If I'm going to have bread though, I'll have the white stuff. Preferably home made slathered with butter. Which is not good for you either.


6.) What's your biggest fear?
Much like Ponyboy, it is something happening to me while my son is young enough to need me every day. Either that, or turning into my mother - which would be roughly equal in terms of detriment to his future happiness. When you have kids, fear takes on another dimension. When I look back on how my life was in my teens and early twenties, I can hardly believe how I lived. With a kid to look after, I don't even like to jaywalk.


 7.) What's your attitude most of the time?
Most of the time, I am a bit like a sleeping lion. Happy enough to lie back and survey the plains, until someone else wants to piss on my territory.

7 Fun Facts About Miss G:
 1) Once upon a time I used to work in the complaints department of a major insurer, dealing with customers we were trying to get rid of. From 9am to 5pm every day, I used to get screamed at and open letters addressed to me, written with almost deranged hatred. I loved every single minute of it and only left the job because I went on maternity leave. I was sworn at, shouted at and threatened. There was quite a high turnover in that department but I stuck it out, mostly because I thought the tantrums that most of our customers had, over very little of real consequence, were hilarious.

2)You don't know anyone who swears as much as me. I don't swear in front of kids, or in front of my tutors at Uni, but everyone else has heard it.

3)When I was on maternity leave, I supported myself for a while by playing poker. I did quite well.  Poker went to shit though, when the US decided to ban it's own players from playing online. The poker world went from shooting fish in a barrel to actually requiring patience and skill overnight. Some of the best friends I have ever made, I have met at the poker table. I rarely play now though, I'm not any good anymore.

4)I don't consider myself to be like, hugely talented at much, but I can cook anything. I have over 150 recipe books and a kitchen stocked with stuff that would put many professional kitchens to shame. One year I cooked a different meal every single night for the whole year. I put on 30lbs but it was really worth it. I'm considering trying this again, for just the month of August.

5) I'm scared of escalators, and cockroaches make me heave. Because we live in an old Victorian house with lots of holes in it, we get mice quite a lot. I cry when we have to kill them, but trapping them and releasing them into the wild doesn't seem to make any difference to the numbers.

6)I always believe that people are entitled to their own political beliefs, but when a woman tells me that she's 'not a feminist', it drives me up the wall. If you are a woman and you have been educated, have had a job, are allowed to keep your own money, vote, make choices for your own children, get birth control without your husband or father's consent, want to be paid for equal work, don't expect your husband to legally rape you inside your marriage (was still perfectly legal within my lifetime in the UK) , and decide for yourself whether you will marry or not, you can thank a feminist for this. If you don't perceive feminism as quite your thing, everything I have listed, stop doing and get back to the washing up.

7) I only ever listen to two radio stations. Radio 4, except between 2 and 4 on a weekday afternoon when I listen to Radio5. For non-UK readers that means I never listen to music radio stations. It's quite hard to access new music because of this. Sometimes I hear a piece of music, love it and have to ask who it is. The person I've asked invariably looks at me like I am an alien. This is quite funny.

7 Bloggers to pass this onto:
Well, this is hard. Some of the bloggers I wanted to pass this onto have already been nominated, some bloggers I would like to nominate might not even be aware of my existence, and as a new blogger, I can't think of that many anyway.  The ones I do follow are pretty lovely though.

You should definitely check out Marriage in The Bedroom
In no particular order then:

1) lil at Submissive Sanctuary
2) Dee at (D)ee for (Desire)
3) Florida Dom
4) Little One at Willing Slut, Apply Within
5) Alice at Discovering Alice
6) B. at Me and What I am... and have become

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the insight...
    your writing will be more interesting
    because of it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Miss G... Thanks for taking the time to play along, and most of all thanks for the kind words! You made my afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very many thanks for the mention Miss G. but I hope I won't bring down Bloggers' Curse on my head for not answering the seven questions. So little time to post ... such tricky questions. :-)Loved reading yours though - especially Fun Fact 6) - very well said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved hearing more about you :) and thanks for my blog mention :)

    Dee x

    ReplyDelete